Monday, March 19, 2018

And Just Like That It's Over

Spring break is officially over & I am officially sad.  Actually I spent most of Sunday being mopey...  Long breaks are the best & the worst.  I needed the time away but it made me want to not go back.  Oh well, the last 9 weeks are bound to fly by!  Happy Monday everyone!  Linking up with the beautiful Biana!

Monday
Monday afternoon my friend Emily arrived with her dog Dolly.  We hung out for a bit before heading out to Orange Theory.  I am pretty sure that I am the only person that doesn't like Orange Theory.  Emily said the instructor was bad, & she wasn't great, but I still have no intention of paying to have someone to tell me how to run on a treadmill.  Okay, so I know there's more to it, but not more that I couldn't just do by myself without paying $100+ every month.

After working out we went out for happy hour because nothing says "way to burn those calories" by eating bar food & drinking alcohol.

Tuesday
Tuesday we went out for brunch not fully realizing it was Tuesday because on spring break there are no days of the week.  So basically we went out for an early lunch...

After lunch we tried to take Nash & Dolly to the dog park but there was some drama on the large dog side so we wound up taking them for a little walk instead before bringing them back home & heading out for pedicures.  Pedicures are the best.  If I was rich I would get one weekly.

We took our time getting ready & then took an Uber down to the Stockyards.  Our Uber drive was very informative.  We had just been discussing getting our real estate licences & it turned our our driver also did real estate so he spent the drive giving us the ins & outs of doing real estate & also gave us his business card so we could ask any other questions we might have.  He also hooked me up with someone who could get me more info on mortgage programs for teachers.

Originally there were supposed to be at least 5 of us that were going to go to dinner at Star Cafe & then drink around the Stockyards.  It wound up just being Emily & me but then someone I had met a couple of weeks ago at Cowboys met up with us too at the White Elephant Saloon & the three of us hung out all night long, pretty much just at the White Elephant & then Filthy McNastys for awhile before getting breakfast at Waffle House.  When we got to Waffle House we wound up running into some friends we had made at the White Elephant, which is pretty crazy odds considering we went to the one I live by which is 25-30 minutes away from the Stockyards.

Wednesday
Emily & Dolly left Wednesday morning to head back to the Austin area.  While I waited for my parents to arrive I baked a couple of pies because Pi Day!  I made a chocolate pudding pie & a blackberry peach pie.  Next time around I'd cook the peaches before adding them to the pie even though it told me not to.  I like softer fruit in my pie, not crunchy.

I also finally went to get my title changed on my old car so I could bring it to the dealership so that they could sell my old car.  It only took 3 days & 3 buildings to get it right.  When I finally did get to the correct building it took me 5 minutes... I did forget to pick up my license plates from the dealer though...

That evening my parents went to Spring Creek BBQ for supper.  We used to go every time they visited me when I lived in Houston.  Even though they're all over, & I've lived a mile from one for over a year now, we had yet to go since I moved up to the DFW area.  It was just as good as I remember!

Thursday
The next morning we headed down to Waco to go to the Silos.  Holy lines Batman!  First we stood in line for the Silos bakery.  My mom got an all chocolate cupcake, my dad got a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting, & I got a lemon lavender cupcake because go big or go home.

After standing in that line we stood in yet another line to get into Magnolia Market.  They have some cute & reasonably priced stuff in there but it was so wall to wall people that we didn't really shop.  It probably didn't help that it was day 1 of Spring at the Silos.  I'll be going back in May when my friend Kayla visits & I already told her we were waking up at the ass crack of dawn to head down there so we go there before it opened, not 30 minutes after.

After leaving there we found a cute little outdoor shop but didn't buy anything there either.  Instead we headed to Cricket's Grill & Tap House.  We shared some loaded fries & I got a burger.  So good!  And great ranch!  (You had to know the ranch comment was coming at this point if you've ever read anything I've written about food...)

We headed back to DFW, went for a walk with Mr. Nash, & then got some Mexican at Abuelo's.  I just got a couple of appetizers & my parents each got food which turned into our lunch the next day.

Friday
Friday was a very chill day.  My dad fixed the wall in my kitchen that I had put a hole in back in July when I first got Nash & tripped over his crate.  Other than that we pretty much just lounged around my apartment, played with Nash, & took him for a walk.  I did take them to Fuel City for tacos & elote.

Saturday
Saturday was my parents' last full day in Texas.  We tried going to the Dallas Farmers Market but it was such a nightmare that we couldn't even find parking.  Instead we drove way west & went to Gilbert's Pecans in Santo (1.5 hours west of Dallas).  We also finally got my plates from the dealer.  Now I have a new license plate number to memorize...

That evening we went to Heim Barbecue which was on my places to try list as well as Texas Monthly's Top 50 BBQ places.  It was good, don't get me wrong, but I don't know that it deserved to be top 50.  I've had better at places that didn't make the list.

Sunday
My parents & I went out for breakfast & then they started their journey back to Minnesota.  Nash & I did a whole lot of nothing.  There was a lot of Friends on Netflix & laying around.  I did manage to get to the grocery store for a couple of things.


I got my first Hello Fresh order, mostly because I got a coupon to try it out.  If you click that link you can try it out at a discount as well.  For my first order I picked "Scallops Over Truffled Mushroom Risotto" as well as "One Pan Orzo Italiano"

Each one of these is supposed to be one meal for 2 people.  They'll both last me longer than 2 meals.  I could probably actually get 3-4 out of them.  The Orzo one seems to be more.  I do have another order coming at some point because that's how my coupon worked.  I'm glad that I tried it out, the food is good, & it's nice to try something that I wouldn't normally cook, but without the coupon/discount it's not cost effective for me.  I can make a lot more for the price they normally charge.

10 comments:

  1. I love those meals for the exact reason you mentioned -trying something new and delicious!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a full Spring Break you had! How fun that your parents visited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered how your parents visit went and your spring break. So sorry it’s over but you’re right, the last 9 weeks will fly by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had originally planned on doing a Mon-Tue recap on Thur & a Wed-Thur recap on Fri but then life happened. I just found out this morning that there's no school next Friday so I suddenly feel like I can do this lol.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great break.. and mmm all that yummy food.
    Our bring starts in a week and a half.. can hardly wait!

    http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super jealous you get a spring break! And brunch on a Tuesday? YES please <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to get so so sad when school breaks were over. I hope your Monday wasn't too rough! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like we got shortchanged on spring break by DST. I demand a do over. It sounds like you had a good time - what a great uber driver!! That's awesome! Definitely look at that mortgage program before it gets cut with everything else is good for education!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun spring break. I totally want to go to Waco just to visit Magnolia market but the long lines deter me. I'm not a fan of waiting, for anything. haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. BBQ and mushroom risotto? NOOOOOMMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete