Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Dallas Days & Fort Worth Nights


If I were a better blogger I would have typed this up yesterday when I had the entire day off.  Instead I was so exhausted from my weekend that I didn't even really get on my laptop until around 5 when I started to read blogs (but didn't finish until this morning) & once again to check my email to see if work was cancelled today because of "snow."  I'll know for sure in 8 minutes but it's not looking good... 

**EDIT** I do in fact still have work today.  I know I shouldn't complain because some people didn't get yesterday off but gosh darn it other school districts are closed today & we're only open because it's a staff development (ie. wasted of a) day & they don't have to worry about the students and buses.  In said meetings is also where I'll be finishing this post because I must now get ready for work & my phone has taken to taking for-ev-er to said emails...even when to myself.

Friday
On Friday nothing could bring me down.  I was staring a 3 day weekend in the eyes (& 5 days away from students), I met with my tattoo shop after work to set up an appointment for the tattoo I won via Instagram (it's March 10), & my best friend from high school was flying in that night from Minnesota to visit for the weekend.  There aren't any pictures because she didn't get in until after 9 pm & we're old so it was me picking her up, talking until around 10, & then going to bed.

Saturday
Saturday morning started off with brunch at Lazy Dog.  I had only ever been there once before not long after I got Nash but the burgers, ranch, & fries were just as good as I remembered!  I need to go there more often.  Despite the fact that I'm not normally a mimosa fan (mostly because orange juice) I suggested we share the DIY mimosa flight.  There was a tangerine-orange juice, peach-raspberry juice, & a huckleberry juice.  The tangerine orange was my least favorite while the peach raspberry was my favorite with huckleberry coming in at a close second.

Then it was off to Fort Worth to show her around.  I wanted to show her the Water Garden but didn't take into account the parade that was going on for the Fort Worth Stock Show so there was nowhere to park & limited places to drive.  So we nixed that stop & head to the Fort Worth Botanic Garden where the conservatory was closed & everything outside was dead.  Luckily that part was free.  We walked further to the Japanese Garden thinking there must be stuff there because it's open & they're charging to get in.  WRONG.  We paid $7 to see some Koi fish, squirrels, & that's about it.  At least it was still peaceful & it made for memories.


I took her down to the Stockyards next where we walked around the shops for a bit & then I took her to my favorite bar, The White Elephant Saloon.  Luckily she also loved it.  We had a couple of drinks there and then saw the rest of the street.  We stopped into the Cowtown Winery, which I had never been to before, & shared a wine flight.  After sampling each of them we wound up each finishing the 2 we had picked for the flight.  On the walk back to the car we got to see the daily longhorn drive down Exchange.


When we got back to my place I took care of Nash & then we just watched Dave Chappelle for about an hour before heading back to the Stockyards for supper & a night out.  I took her to the Star Cafe for steak salad because as I've said before, I make everyone go there.  If you ever come to Dallas-Fort Worth & we hang out, I will make you go there.  After supper we headed across the street to Filthy McNastys (yes that's it's actual name) for a drink waiting for the band to start but when it was after 9 & there was still no band we headed next door to the Thirsty Armadillo (possibly my 2nd favorite bar there) which is where we spent most of the night drinking, dancing, & people watching.  We stopped back at the White Elephant to listen to some live music (& because she agreed it was her favorite bar) and then I made her lay in the grass with me outside the colosseum because 99.9% of the time that I'm in the Stockyards I think of Oklahoma & 85% of the time I get extra nostalgic about that time there & need to lay in the grass just like I did that night.  Of course this time lasted all of 2 minutes because it was freaking cold out.  Then it was street tacos & home for bed.  The fact that we made it until 2 surprised us both.


Sunday
We had plans of going to the Dallas Arboretum in the morning but after our botanic garden fiasco we did not go.  So our first stop of the morning was AT&T Stadium because we have a friend in Minnesota who LOVES the Cowboys.  So obviously a picture was sent to him.


Next stop, the pedestrian bridge which was an adventure in itself.  I knew it was near Four Corners Brewing but for the life of me could not remember that it was near Trinity Grove.  So I put in Four Corners Brewing, & we wound up at a new location?  A second location?  I don't know.  We definitely wound up outside of A Four Corners Brewing but not the one I was thinking of.  I thought I had lost my damn mind.  Eventually we found the right location, walked across the bridge, took pictures of the skyline, & then made our way back.  Being a tourist is hard when it's cold out y'all.


Next stop: Dealy Plaza.  Mostly so she could see where JFK was assassinated & stand on the X.  This still amuses me.  I've done it myself.  When I lived in Houston I came up to DFW with some friends for the first time & that was also one of our spots.  I find it amusing though that a president was assassinated in that spot, & people get all excited to stand on that x & take a picture.  It should also be known for those of you have never been to Dallas that this is still a full blown working street.  So smart people wait for the light to turn red so it's safe, while others who are not so smart choose to just run out & pray they don't get their own x.

I took her to Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum for lunch because it so far is still my favorite BBQ place in DFW.  There was of course a line, & there was a brief moment when my hanger started to show & I got a little stabby, but all was well.  I got my brisket and mac & cheese before any lives were taken.  

It was then off to Slaters 50/50 in Lower Greenville to watch the Vikings vs Saints game.  We got there early thinking that the bars would be packed, & some were.  In fact the bar area was full when we got to Slaters but then we sat down & ordered a drink and most of the bar cleared out.  It did eventually fill up again but we didn't need to be there an hour & a half early like we were.


Slaters was probably the best & most intense part of the entire weekend.  First of all, the owner was a Saints fan so the rivalry started the second we walked through the door in our Vikings gear.  Then there were also Saints fans across from us, briefly Eagles fans across from us, Packers fans to our left, & for the first half Saints fans to our right.  The Saints fan to our right was so hard to hate though because he was funny.  My friend Trey, a Cowboys fan, also met up with us to watch the game.  The first half was just fun because it was mostly hanging out at the bar & making friends.  We went into half time winning 17-0 for those of you who either didn't watch or haven't seen/read anything about the game.  But then, as all Vikings fans know, it can never be that simple.  The second half is where I started getting stressed.  I couldn't breathe, according to my fit bit my heart rate was rapidly rising, I was hiding my eyes, bouncing my legs, my hands were shaking, & the last 10 seconds nearly killed me.  I 100% started crying at the bar when we won I was so happy.  The owner of the bar bought my friends & I champagne to celebrate.  I couldn't even hold the glass for a hot minute because I was shaking so badly.

(I could, & have, watched this multiple times.  It's only 28 seconds & it has Titanic music so if you haven't watched it I promise it's worth it)

After the incredible win, & saying goodbye to our new Packers fan friends (who cheered us on & supported us the entire time, keeping the faith when even we started to waiver) we walked down to Steel City Pops because at this much it's pretty much required, especially when Trey is with.  Then we drove the the Fuel City in Dallas to get elotes since the elotes stand had already closed for the night when we went the night before in Haltom City.  She was a fan.  We tried to get a cupcake from the Sprinkles ATM but they were sold out already by 9 pm so instead we went home & to bed.  The adrenaline we had from the game & come crashing down so we were exhausted.

Monday
Kristie had to leave Monday so we went to Waffle House for breakfast since she had never been & I love it.  A friend later told me that I was the only person he knew that goes to WH at anytime other than 3 am.  You can't deny those waffles or the prices though.  Love me some WH.  We had a little time to kill before I brought her to the airport so we walked around Target & then were on our way.


I was so tired when I got home I didn't want to do anything.  I needed to go grocery shopping but my couch was just too comfy.  Plus, Nash was super cuddly since I hadn't been around most of the weekend & who am I to kick such a sweet puppy off my lap?  Around  3:304 I finally went & holy shit was that a mistake.  Texans need to calm down when it comes to weather.  We were/are under a winter weather advisory & you would think there was a massive snowstorm or hurricane coming.  Lines for the checkout went back into the aisles, and some stores were completely sold out of essentials.  The weather was calling for a dusting of snow by the way...


I got home, did some meal prep, finished Hawaii Five-0, started season 3 of Fuller House, & went to bed.  I should have written this post, & even thought about it a half dozen times, so that it could have gone live at midnight instead of me typing it all the way up until 6:45 am & then not being able to add pictures & post it until after 9 am because my phone hates email.


Oh well... the theme of this week is "whatever"  I didn't have work yesterday, today is staff development, tomorrow I'm in a training, Thursday is a "normal" day, & then Friday is a pep rally schedule day so there is no real productivity happening this week.

5 comments:

  1. You know how to have fun and get the most out of your surroundings, love your adventuresome heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet. I do love being able to explore new things whenever I can!

      Delete
  2. No one told me our office was open on Monday. Soooooo after I found out, I teleworked. Bitches.
    Dog snuggles > everything, always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo disappointed that we didn't get a snowday :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I'm SO glad that you actually won it after all those entries, lol. You totally win!!!! I was so annoyed that we didn't get a snow day on Tuesday. I wanted one SO BADLY. lol.

    ReplyDelete