Thursday, October 19, 2017

Gulf Coast Summer

The other day I received the "Gulf Coast Summer" box in the mail from My Texas Market.  My Texas Market is a monthly subscription box with goodies made locally in Texas.  They have 3 different plans when ordering: 1 Month $35, 3 Month $100 (33.33/box), & 6 Month $195 ($32.50/box).  They also an online market where you can shop the products that have been in previous boxes.

The Gulf Coast Summer box included:
-White Cloud World Teas: Watermelon Lemon
-South Texas Milling: Gulf Coast Fish Fry
-Hot Line Pepper Products: Garlicky Greengo
-Salt Masters: Island Seasoned Salt
-Smitten Organics: "Beachin" Sea Salt Soap

First up I made some homemade guacamole.  Homemade guacamole is 100x better than store bought.  I used 3 avocados, a small yellow onion, a red pepper, lemon juice from 1 lemon, & then poured some of the Hot Line sauce in for heat.

That same night I cooked up some shrimp.  I put some butter & Salt Masters seasoned salt in the pan & then threw in the shrimp.

I then put the two together & ate it on chips.  SO GOOD!

The next night I fried up some catfish.  Catfish is pretty much the only fish I like.  I dipped the fish in a milk & egg wash & then coated it with the STX Milling fish fry.  After it was cooked I put a little bit of the Hot Line sauce on it as well for even more flavor.

I never used to like tea.  Then I started dating a guy who got me hooked.  I still prefer coffee 100x more, but I do love tea.  That being said, I have never used loose leaf tea before.  I made up a small batch before work to bring with me.  First of all, it was delicious & refreshing.  Second of all, if loose leaf tea is going to become a thing in my life I need to get one of those super cute tea infusers like this one.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of bar soap.  I much prefer liquid/foam hand soap & then body wash with a loofa.  This soap did smell really good though!

I really enjoyed getting to try out products I might not normally just pick up.  It definitely got me to step up my meal game this week.  While I love shrimp and catfish, they aren't something I normally think to make when doing meal prep.  I also loved that they were all from businesses local to Texas.  I think these boxes would make a great gift!  Whether for someone that is still living in Texas, has moved away from Texas, or someone who just enjoys supporting small, local businesses.

I had actually once considered sending one of these to a former friend who was overseas but the timing didn't work out from when I found the company to when they would be returning.

Disclaimer: I did receive this box for free in exchange for my review of the subscription box company as well as the products.

2 comments:

  1. This is cool!! I may to do this for my sister for Christmas! She loves these cooking boxes and I bet she can't find these types of products in upstate NY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shrimp + guac looks SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete