Thursday, June 28, 2018

We've Never Been To Canada!

Yesterday I shared with you where my cousin & I ate on our way to & from Canada.  Today I bring you a summary of what went down on the way there & back.

We had originally planned on leaving around 8 or 9 am but due to car problems on her part, we didn't leave until around noon.  Because of our later start, & because we've done a lot of the stuff along the north shore before, other than coffee & lunch we only stopped at Tettegouche State Park in Silver Bay, MN & at an overlook of Lake Superior when we were getting close to the Canadian border.

We had WANTED to see some waterfalls while we were at Tettegouche, it was the whole reason we stopped there.  However at a certain point in our hike the trail started to seem like it was getting smaller & the mosquitoes were getting really bad so we just turned around unsure if we were even on the right path anymore.

I got hella awkward at the Canadian border.  It should be known that if I'm ever interrogated for real I would most likely crack like an egg.  The guy asked about a million questions such as "why we were going" & my variations because "we've never been to Canada" only seemed to create more variations of "but why are you going to Canada?"  Finally, we were allowed in however despite my being awkward as hell & Canada probably not wanting me lol.

When we got into Thunder Bay we didn't get to do much other than check into our Airbnb, eat supper, get some allergy meds at the magical wide aisled Walmart, & fail at our attempt to find Lake Superior.

The next morning after getting some coffee from Tim Hortons, which I just saw yesterday at Mall of America... womp womp, we started to head to Kakabeka Falls.  But first we had to make a pit stop for my tire.  As we were driving along my "low tire pressure" light came on.  I'd honestly probably normally ignore it for a bit.  However, the spare tire I currently doesn't fit, I didn't really have cell phone service, & I'm pretty sure my AAA membership doesn't cover Canada.  As luck would have it the light came on right by a tire shop.  Good ol Sam & Harv found the staple in my tire & got me all squared away.

We finally made it to the falls & wandered around them for a bit seeing all there was to see.  We never did see a moose or a mountie, & certainly not a mountie on a moose like we were hoping.  We did see this fake moose at the falls though & called it as good as it was going to get.

After the falls we stopped at a cheese farm because nothing says we've turned into our mothers like going out of our way to stop at something like a cheese farm...  I got some orange lavender gouda cheese.  Truth be told I still haven't eaten it...

Getting back in the US was a whole lot easier with just 4 simple questions:
1. Can you take your sunglasses off please
2. Where did you stay last night
3. Where are you headed now
4. Can you pop your trunk

Once back in Minnesota we stopped at Judge C R Magney State Park in Grand Marais so that we could see Devil's Kettle.  Honestly?  It was kind of a disappointment.  There was no great angle to see the magical mystery that is the kettle, that has also pretty much been solved.  It was also pretty much a complete vertical mile.  Only a slight exaggeration.  Most of it was very vertical.

Once back in Duluth we stopped for lunch & to take some very touristy photos in canal park that we've both taken 100 times before.  Then it was back home so I could see Mr. Nash & she could make it to her oldest son's baseball game.

4 comments:

  1. "I'VE NEVER BEEN TO CANADA." Same reason I offered in 2008. I think it's as good of a reason as any!! Orange lavender gouda? I'm intrigued. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think thats a really good reason actually lol. Great pics it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was the airbnb that y'all stayed in? I love that as an alternative to hotels

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised they interrogated you so much! That's crazy! Now that my sister lives in MN she wants to go to Canada, for the same reason!

    ReplyDelete