Wednesday, June 27, 2018

North Shore & Canadian Eating

I grew up 4.5 hours from the Canadian border.  Growing up this seemed not super far, but far enough.  That's probably big reason that despite talking about it all the time, I never actually made the drive up there.  Now having lived in Texas for 6.5 years I realize that driving that far isn't that big of a deal.  So, a few days after my brother & I got back from our road trip that took us to both Nashville & Chicago, my cousin Becky & I hit the road again to head to Thunder Bay, Ontario.

First up, the most important part of any trip, THE FOOD!
On the way up to Canada we stopped at Northwoods Family Grille in Silver Bay, MN.  I got the Turkey Club which comes on Wild Rice Cranberry Bread...because Minnesota.  

Once finally in Canada & settled in it was around 8 pm... except it was 9 pm because we had crossed from Central Time to Eastern Time.  This meant that we had to scramble to find something that was a)open & b)didn't have reviews that make us think we might get sick.  That is how we ended up at Caribou Restaurant & Wine Bar in Thunder Bay, Ontario.  Was it delicious?  You're damn right it was!  Was it more expensive than we would have chosen if we had had more options?  Heck yes it was!  It wasn't outrageously priced considering what it was, but we probably would have picked something more low key if that had been an option.  We split a warm goat cheese salad, a 16 oz ribeye, & some asparagus.  Holy shit it was so good!  All of it!  I also got the "Rebel" for a drink which was blueberry vodka, mint, lemon, white cranberry, 7 up, & soda water.

The next morning we stopped at Tim Hortons for coffee & donuts because Canada.  (Upon writing this post I learned there are actually 13 locations in Minnesota now...)

For lunch that day we stopped in Duluth, MN & ate at Canal Park Brewing, also amazing!  We shared some Duck Poutine, which you can see better here, I got a Northcoaster Burger & a salad.  It was all so good but so filling.  I definitely didn't eat all of it.  I also got a Loon Juice Cider from Four Daughters Vineyard & Winery out of Spring Valley, MN.

Tomorrow you can expect a recap of what we actually did on the first day of our trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment