Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Rover v. Wag

One of the reasons I was hesitant to instantly say yes to taking Nash home with me back in June was that I was starting a new job in August.  That new job not only 30 miles away, and I'm talking city miles not country miles, but it also included coaching 2 sports.  I was worried I wouldn't be home enough for him.  For awhile he went to "doggy daycare" at Helen & Caleb's but that came to an end when Nash got sick & made a mess at their house.  That is how Nash became a crate puppy.

Nash's crate puppy status lasted from about Aug 1 when volleyball started until Nov 1 when he got fixed.  His crate puppy status really only ended because the cone was so big he couldn't be comfortable in the crate with it on.  Ever since then he's just had free reign of the apartment, for the most part.  He still can't get into the bathroom or my closet.  Despite now being potty trained, being able to roam the apartment, & having a toy/bone collection that would make any dog jealous, he's still home alone too much.  With softball season now in full swing, and with days that are longer than volleyball days, I needed to do something about it.  Enter dog walking service apps.  Even though I had read reviews of both Rover & Wag, I decided to try them both out to see which one *I* liked better.  Nash has only had one walk with each so far, but has 7 more already scheduled for this month, & 1 or 2 more to come before February is over.  I am only scheduling walks on game days or days I have after work meetings/plans.  On with the reviews!

Wag

I scheduled a Wag walk first.  If you decide that you would also like to give Wag a try you can use the code BRIANNE02763 to get your first walk for free.  (I also get a $25 credit for each person that signs up through me.)

Pros:
-My first walk was free
-They send you a free lock box to hide your spare key in
-While the walk is occurring there is a live GPS map of where the walk is taking place
-You don't pay until after the walk occurs
-You can either schedule a walk in advance or you can get a walk ASAP if something comes up.
-You get a picture, report card, & a little note at the end of walk.

Cons:
-It's more expensive.  Each 30 minute walk is $20 & a 60 minute walk is $30.  You can buy credits to save on walks but the cheapest credit package is $90 & that gets you $100 for walks.
-You don't get to pick who walks your dog.  You just schedule one & then anyone can pick it up.
-They only offer dog walking, although it says training is coming soon.

Rover

On Friday I scheduled a walk with Rover.

Pros:
-You can pick your rate (where I am average is $15, I pay $12)
-You can choose who walks your dog
-In addition to dog walking they offer dog boarding, house sitting, drop in visits, & doggy daycare
-At the end of the walk you get a report card & pictures

Cons:
-You have to pay at the time you book the service
-You have to hide your key somewhere
-There is no ASAP option, & because you are choosing who walks your dog, you have to put out a request to that person & if they cannot do it you then have to select someone new & start the process over again.

Overall
WAG: I have 4 more walks scheduled with Wag for the month.  That was mostly because they gave me $5 off my 2nd walk & if I scheduled 5 within a month Nash would get a free gift box.  

I do like that you don't have to pay until the walk occurs because I already know all of the dates that I'm going to need them through April & the planner in me would like to get them scheduled now but don't want to have to pay for 3 months of walks right now.  I also like that I can see the walk as it's happening.

ROVER: I have 3 more walks scheduled with Rover for the month.  I will be scheduling 1 or 2 more with them for this month as well.

Honestly, I like that it's cheaper.  I'm saving $7-8/walk by using Rover.  I've picked the same girl for each of the walks that is scheduled & haven't had a problem yet with her not being available.  She gets back to me quickly as well.  I don't need a live map, even though it's cool, & she sent me more pictures than the Wag walker did.  The downside is I can't schedule them as far in advance because of having to pay right away, and also I don't know that she'd be able to commit to something 2 months from now.

So for me, Rover wins.  And that is simply because of price.  If they were equal in price I would probably continue to use both of them.  However, after the 5th Wag walk I will be deleting that app & going strictly with Rover.

5 comments:

  1. I feel like Rover should get Wag's lockbox model - that sounds way better to me than hiding my key. I can't believe the price difference is so huge. It's great you found someone you trust and one that works for you, though, especially on those long days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like both of these services are awesome to have, but I agree that price wins out in the end. Hopefully you can continue to use the girl you like with Rover :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing... but that's really nice. I like the lock box idea... but the prices are definitely steep!! This is a really nice thing during sports season, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting! I kind of knew about this, through a friend with a dog, but had no idea all the details that go along with it. I wonder if people need someone to come and pet their cats during the day... HMM... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice post this time to must be know about it can dogs have veggie straws for more details.

    ReplyDelete