Wednesday, March 15, 2017

My Body Is My Journal & My Tattoos Are My Story


When I saw Kylea post about the stories behind her tattoos I immediately knew I wanted to do the same.  The timing seemed pretty perfect.  Her post came about a week & a half after Mr. Hates Tattoos decided to end things because he couldn't look past my tattoos.  It also came about a week before my appointment for my 8th tattoo.  So it seemed like a good way to show off my new ink, share my old ink, as well as explain why I have each of that tattoos that I do.


Please excuse the poor photo quality.  With the exception of the last one, I just now took pictures with my cell phone of all of the others because I didn't feel like trying to dig up the originals for the rest.

One
This one is clearly in need of being touched up again.  I got this one at 22 (6 years ago).  I am so glad that I waited until I was 22 to get my first tattoo.  Why?  Well because that is not originally what I wanted for my first tattoo.  When I was like 17 I wanted a double nautical star in black, blue, & green.  Thank you Jesus I didn't get that one.  Anyway, so at 22 I got my first tattoo.  I was slightly intimidated walking into the shop.  I chose a hibiscus because at the time it was my favorite flower.  I got it in pink with green accents because my birth month color, & my mom's, are both pink.  The green is because that is the birth month color of my dad & brother.  Which considering none of us are born in the same month was pretty convenient.  Location: right shoulder blade

Two
I got my 2nd tattoo at 23.  I got it when I came back from student teaching in Texas.  I have always loved dandelions.  My mom & I used to argue whether they were flowers or weeds.  I got it with the idea in mind that I felt like the seeds being blown in the wind.  I didn't quite know where I wanted to end up or be at the time but I knew I wanted/needed to get out of Minnesota for at least awhile.  Location: left hip bone

Three
Number 3 came at the age of 24.  I love Eric Church & that was & is my favorite song by him.  Plus, the lyrics are true.  It says "Funny how a melody sounds like a memory"  They're from "Springsteen"  Location: left collarbone 

Four
Number 4 came at the age of 25.  Basically my plan was to get one a year...that plan got shot to shit lol.  It says "Roots of an oak & a tumbleweed soul"  They're from the Granger Smith song "Bury Me In Blue Jeans"  The meaning behind the lyrics kind of goes along with my dandelion tattoo.  I felt (still sometimes feel) like I just don't know where I want to be.  That I want to see & live as many places as possible.  Location: right rib cage.  This is the one & only tattoo that about halfway through I wanted it to just stop.

Five
Number 5 came at the age of 26.  I wanted a tattoo that represented Texas.  I didn't want one that was big & gaudy though.  So I chose a simple star outline.  I am originally from Minnesota which is the north star state & now live in Texas which is the lone star state.  Location: left wrist.

Six
Number 6 is where my whole one a year got shot to shit.  I was also 26 when I got this one.  My cousin Becky & I got matching foot tattoos on a road trip we took.  Mine says "Faith when I fall" & hers says "Strength when I stand"  They come from back to back lyrics in the Kip Moore song "Faith When I Fall" Location: right foot.

Seven
Number 7 came just after my 28th birthday.  Which means not only did I get 2 at the age of 26...I got 0 at the age of 27.  It's a compass with the coordinates of where I grew up.  I am obsessed, OBSESSED, with globes & maps which is how I wound up with a compass but I wanted it to be more personal & meaningful so I had the coordinates to home added in.  (Coordinates blacked out so ya can't stalk my parents lol)  Location: left arm.

Eight
Number 8 also came at the age of 28.  A few years ago I decided that when I have kids I wanted to get tattoos of their birth month flowers.  I also decided that I would start it with the flower that represented me, my brother, & my parents & work off of it to turn it into a partial sleeve.  But first, before I had any kids of my own I wanted to get my birth month flower.  I've wanted this one longer than most of the other ones I have but knew that it'd be more expensive because of color so I just kept putting it off.  Location: right shoulder blade.

Do you have any tattoos?  What are they?

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The Eric Church lyrics are my fav but I adore the colors of the new one. I love the stories behind each one of these! My sons and my daddy have them. I did always want one but never did pull the trigger. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is my favorite too! Thank you! I hope you have a fabulous Wednesday!

      Delete
  2. If you take the time to ask, every tattoo has a story. Thank you for sharing yours. And yes, I have tattoos and every single one has meaning behind it. One of mine is a star that has the astrological glyphs for my family around it, so I get the birth month flower- very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post & your newest addition! I think I need to start a new goal to get a new tattoo every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Eric Church lyrics, that's such a good song. I don't have any tattoos, I'm a big old baby. But John does and he's always itching for more. He wants the firefighter Maltese crosses on his ELBOWS. OUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading all about your tattoos! I really love your new addition and the meaning behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have ideas for tattoos I've wanted to get, but I just haven't made the commitment. It doesn't help that my tattoo guy is 4 hours away. Also, I have trust issues, so finding someone local is probably not gonna happen in the near future.

    I did appreciate the history behind your tattoos. I won't lie, I originally found the flowers cheesy probably because I associate them with drunk spring break girls who just want a tattoo and don't know what else to get. Hearing the meaning behind yours made me appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thoroughly enjoy hearing the stories that inspire ink. I don't even care if someone says "I was a drunk girl on spring break and this is what I got" because to me, that still tells a story. I keep meaning to do a post like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever seen a tattoo quite like your dandelion one--so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I gave the guy a rough idea of what I wanted & then he came up with his own design.

      Delete
  9. Wow, I didn't know you had so many tattoos--very interesting to see what inspired you to get each one! I love the idea of getting a flower for your birth month and then adding onto it as you have kids. Floral tattoos in general are pretty great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post!! They're so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the stories behind all of your tattoos. I met Eric Church one time when he did a concert at my school, so I definitely love that you have one of his lyrics. I think my favorite is your dandelion tattoo. It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete