Monday, February 27, 2017

5 Years of the San Antonio Rodeo

I hope that y'all had a great weekend!  Linking up with Biana!

Pretty much as soon as my conference period started on Friday I was out the door.  When I made the decision to leave at 1:30 I had big plans of being in San Antonio around 5:30-6.  Austin traffic of course had other plans.  When I got into my car my ETA was 5:55.  When I arrived it was 7:15.  Between construction in Temple, & the never ending suck of traffic that is Austin, some serious time was added to my journey.  From now on I will be taking the toll road to avoid it whenever I drive down.  If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen my story in which I was taking bets on how long it'd take me to actually get through Austin.  In case you didn't see it... it was an hour & 10 min.  I normally hate toll roads but the $8 is worth avoiding sitting in traffic for that long.  When I did finally reach Travis & Robyn's house we ate some soup, watched some movies on TV (I saw Whip It for the first time), & went to bed.

This was our 5th year going to the San Antonio Rodeo together.  We have somehow managed to screw something up every single year we've gone so we were bound & determined to get it right this year.  And we did...for the most part.  Travis & I were up before Robyn so we went & dropped my car off in a parking lot right near the stadium so we wouldn't have to walk a mile & a half like we normally do & then picked up breakfast tacos.  Robyn was up when we got back & we just sort of hung around for a couple of hours & got ready before heading out.  Not only did we get there in time this year, we were early.  We were able to eat some food & see some animals BEFORE the rodeo even started.  The only hiccup, & it wasn't even technically a hiccup, was that we apparently chose to attend on Xtreme Bulls day which we were unaware of.  So instead of the full blown rodeo it was only bull riding & mutton bustin.  Which, those are my two favorite parts anyway so whatever.  We got to see Aaron Watson who had me crying when he played Bluebonnets In The Spring.  He & his wife had a little girl who died just hours after she was born & the song is for her.  The song makes me cry anyway but he started it by saying how he wasn't going to play it because he didn't know if he'd be able to get through it, but during the meet & greet before hand he met a mother & a little girl who had recently lost their husband/father who was a fire fighter & had played that song at his funeral.  After the rodeo we went to Buffalo Wild Wings & then a bar for a while with some of Travis & Robyn's friends

I had planned on going to a concert Sunday night with my friend Kevin, & I had part of a paper to write, so I had planned on leaving by 8 am so that I could get back, get stuff done, & make it to the concert.  Kevin text me at 4 am saying the show was sold out & resale tickets were now $90 instead of the original $18.  He asked if I still wanted to go but I declined.  There was no way I was paying that kind of money for a small bar show of a band I hardly know.  I still left at 8 anyway which was good and bad.  In my mind I was going to stop in Austin on my way home to get some BBQ from Stiles Switch because it's pretty much my favorite place & I'm obsessed with their potato salad.  What I didn't think through was that by leaving at 8 I'd hit Austin around 9 & the place doesn't open until 11.  Oh well, it saved me money.  There are 2 Buc-ees, which is no lie one of my favorite places ever to stop at, between San Antonio & Fort Worth.  I had planned on stopping at both.  Why?  Just because I love that place that much.  However, I was on the phone with my dad when I was getting to the first one & I hadn't been on the road long enough to want to stop.  So instead I drove straight on through to Temple, stopped at the Buc-ees there, got some fudge, pecan kolaches, & a new CD because that's how I always do when I stop there.  When I got to West I stopped again but this time for a jalapeno & cheese sausage kolache from Slovacek's.  

I was fairly tired when I got home & all I wanted to do was nap.  Instead, like a good adult for once, I knocked out my paper & then went grocery shopping.  I have not done any type of meal prep in probably a month.  I am going to try to give up carbs as much as possible.  Now, this doesn't mean I'm giving them up 100%, just most of the time.  For breakfast I made "burrito bowls" but really it's eggs, sausage, jalapenos, green chilies, cheese, & onion.  For lunches I made broccoli, cheese, & chicken casserole.  It's those 3 things.  For suppers I made more burrito bowls.  Those ones have brown rice, turkey burger, salsa, cheese, & onion.  I finally did some laundry.  I have free electricity from 8 pm- 5 am so I waited until 8 to start it because I'm cheap.  I ran my dishwasher for the first time since moving in.  Something is wrong with it... the soap dispenser doesn't open.  So until that gets fixed it's dishes by hand.  Which, the dishwasher is so old I might just do that anyway.  Around 10 I got my second load of laundry into the dryer & finally went to bed.


  1. I've never been to a rodeo before - sounds like fun! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

  2. Free electricity in the middle of the night? I've never even heard of that, but how cool!