Thursday, October 13, 2016

Live Your Own Life


I think comparing one's life to that of others is only natural.  While some do it more than others, and exactly what one is comparing varies from person to person, at some point in time there are very few, if any, people who haven't looked at what they have/where they're at in life & then looked at those around them to see how they stack up.  It's human nature.

My 28th birthday is in 10 days & for the longest time 28 was a mile marker for me.  I'm not going to sit here & pretend that I don't even compare where I'm at/what I have compared to others, but I have come a long way & more often than not try to live my own life & be happy with what I have/where I'm at.  Here are some aspects of my life that I have tried to compare to others on more than one occasion...

1)Marriage... 
I'm definitely at the age where many people around me have or are settling down.  My parents got married when they were 26 & when 26 came & went without me even being serious with someone...I started to wonder.  I've always wanted to get married (well minus my cynical phase) but pressure came more from wanting to be on track with society.  It wasn't until very recently that I've even been ready to truly settle down.  And even at that, I also don't want to settle.  I'm perfectly content now waiting until the right person & time come along.

2)Kids...
Basically ditto to above.  Kids are also why 28 was always such a mile marker for me.  My parents had me (their oldest) at 28.  I can tell you that I definitely won't be having a kid at 28.  I quite possibly won't be at 29 either.  And that's okay.  I want kids.  I'm just now finally ready to start even thinking about having a family.  But again, I won't settle just to have kids.  When the time comes I'll be ready.  But until then, I'm cool with just living my single, childless life.

3)Money & all the freedom/fun having it entails...
I got myself into a shit ton of student loan debt with my undergrad.  I then slowly got myself into some credit card debt.  I frequently envy those that aren't spending the $1200/mo on debt that I am.  But then I tell myself that a)I did this to myself & b)it's not like I go without the necessities & still also manage to have a life.

 4)A job...a good one that you love
I often envy those that know exactly what they want to do & are doing it...& loving it.  From 1st through most of college I wanted to be a teacher.  Then I started teaching & I didn't love it.  I didn't know what I wanted to do, I didn't know what I would love.  Then I stopped, & I miss it.  Ok so I'm still working on this one... mostly I'm envious of those that seem to have their shit figured out...

1 comment:

  1. I got married when I was 22, but my husband was my first real boyfriend (the only time something went beyond three dates). It seemed like everyone else had been dating lots of guys since they were 14. I was accused of being "picky" in the past, but I would rather wait for someone who I *knew* that I really liked. Good for you not settling to have kids. I don't understand people who do. If you aren't truly happy with the kid's father, the kid will sense it and they might be witnessing a divorce later. I remember meeting kids in middle school who knew that their parents weren't happy. My job does not amaze me, but it's tolerable and it pays the bills. Your job is not you, it's just how you get money for stuff that the real you needs/enjoys.

    ReplyDelete