Thursday, January 16, 2014

You Make The Choice

I have been reading the Divergent series by Veronica Roth (if you're into the whole Hunger Games series I suggest you read this series too...it's not as good but still good) & I got almost to the end (154 pages remaining) when I read something in there that made me stop.  I promise it's not really a spoiler if you haven't read them & intend to...it's just something that made me stop, think, & almost cry right in the middle of a classroom.

"I used to think that wen people fell in love, they just landed where they landed, and they had no choice in the matter afterward.  And maybe that's true of beginnings, but it's not true of this, now.  I fell in love with him.  But I don't just stay with him by default as if there's no one else available to me.  I stay with him because I choose to, every day that I wake up, every day we fight or lie to each other or disappoint each other.  I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me."

1 comment:

  1. I love this, and I think it's so true!

    I think people get in trouble with the idea of "soul mates" or "meant to be" or whatever because they don't realize that they have to make a choice, so when something goes bad and they have a fight or are disappointed, they want to walk away because this must not be "meant to be" if that happens. Heck no, no relationship is perfect and you really do have to choose every day!

    ReplyDelete