Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Healthy Eating...For Real This Time

I need to eat better.  I already do a lot better than I used to.  I don't snack as much & when I do it's healthier stuff.  I stopped packing brownies & chips in my lunches and started packing granola bars & fruit.  In December I essentially gave up fast food all together, except for twice, but considering I used to stop at Whataburger fairly often for breakfast & McDonalds from time to time right after work that's saying something.  I've also basically given up pop.  I went a whole month without it & have had some since but not a lot.

My problem is I live alone.  I hate cooking for myself.  That means I eat A LOT of pasta.  It's just easy.  I make a whole box of pasta on Sunday & it lasts me through Friday.  While I love pasta, & did switch to whole grain so it's slightly healthier, it's getting really boring & pasta at least 5 times a week isn't the best thing in the world.  I never have the ambition to make some elaborate meal when I'm the only that's going to eat it.

My other problem is that it has to be quick...at least my lunches.  I basically need to have them prepared the night before or be able to throw it together in 5 minutes or less because I live a half hour from my job & have to be there by about 6:30-6:45.  I am not a huge fan of sandwiches...I'm so weird about bread & I don't even really know how to describe it except for the fact that more often than not I will give up on the bread before I finish a sandwich & just eat the insides...Breakfast also has to be fairly quick for the same reason.  For that though I think I'm just going to start making smoothies & shakes.  That way I can eat/drink on the go.

Supper doesn't have as much of a time constraint but I'm usually so worn out by the end of the day that I don't want to spend a lot of time cooking.  So my goal is that starting January 14 (I won't be back until late on the 6th & still have some food to get rid of in my apartment) is to stop eating pasta all the time, eat healthier, & get creative.  Pinterest here I come! ... if any of you know of any quick, healthy ideas I'm open for suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment