Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cake In A Jar

I first learned of cake in a jar nearly 4 years ago when Branden joined the military & I therefore joined a military support group.  Branden had never deployed though & wasn't allowed packages and such when he was at training so I never had the need to make it.  Well now he is deployed & his birthday is in exactly one week so I decided to send him some cake.  So how do you make it you ask?  It's really simple.

1. Make cake batter as normal (I just used a cake in a box mixture)
2. Liberally grease each jar (I just used cooking spray & sprayed all over the inside)
3. Fill each jar no more than half full (I used wide mouth jars because it will slide out easier & it only took 2 jars)
4. Place jars on a cookie sheet.
5. Cook at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. (After 30 minutes my toothpicks came out perfectly clean)
6. For the last 5 minutes boil the lids & rings.
7. When cake is done put the lids & rings on immediately.
8. Cover each jar with a towel so that they stay warm. (The should seal fairly quickly)

PS. Make sure your jars are perfectly clean before you begin this process.  I ran mine through the dishwasher right before I needed them.





No comments:

Post a Comment