Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May 5th, 2005

It's been 5 years already but I can still remember nearly every detail like it was yesterday. I was a sophomore in high school and it was an early out. It was sunny and beautiful. We were supposed to have a softball game that night. The baseball team was also supposed to play. I went over to friend's house to meet up with a couple friends. While there my mom called me to make sure I was ok. I thought this was odd until she told me there had been an accident. She didn't know who & she didn't know exactly how just that there had been an accident. So I told my friends & in the middle of telling them my mom called me back & told me who. I wasn't close with either but that didn't really matter. That sort of thing is tragic no matter what but especially when you live in a small town where everyone knows everyone.



Joy Marciniak & Dylan Raines had been drag racing another car. The other car was also two students that went to my high school. Another car was coming and so the two cars racing tried to get in the same lane. One car clipped the other. Dylan & Joy's car went flying. They died instantly. Dylan was an amazing baseball player & was set to graduate the following month. He was going to attend college out in Hawaii. Joy was a beautiful young woman, popular and well liked. She was to be graduating the following year & then going out to Hawaii to go to college & be with Dylan.



The following day was filled with emotion. School was in session but classes were not held. Memorials were set up outside of their lockers and near a tree outside the school. There was not a dry eye in the school that day. Even just thinking about it now brings tears back to my eyes. There were so many emotions that day that I cannot even begin to describe that day but it plays out in my head as if I were watching it on tape.



Randomly a song will come on the radio and it brings me back to then. "Good Riddance" - Green Day this song was played multiple times during the memorials, viewings, & funerals. It became almost a theme song. "Who You'd Be Today" - Kenny Chesney & "I Go Back" - Kenny Chesney.



I tried to find an article from that day. I have them all printed/saved at my parents & cannot find any online any longer. I'd like you to take time out of your Cinco De Mayo to think about those you love, those you've lost, and to remember to buckle up.



This is to you Dylan & Joy. You are so missed. I hope that heaven is amazing & that you two are living it up up there.



Good Riddance - Green Day



Who You'd Be Today - Kenny Chesney

1 comment:

  1. Very sad. The School Resource Officer came into all my government classes today to talk to them about things like buckling up. Sadly, most of them paid no attention, even when he cited truly sad stories like this. So many kids still have the "it can't happen to me" mindset.

    I will surely take a moment to remember Dylan and Joy.

    ReplyDelete