Monday, July 1, 2019

Monday Morning Coffee Vol. 15


Oh hey there!  Pardon me while I haven't blogged in 2 weeks because I've been lazy.

#TeachersInTheSummerBeLike

So rather than a weekend recap, here is what I have been up to since I last blogged...

**A guy who was a few years older than me in high school messaged me on a dating site & we have been talking for a couple of weeks.  I don't know how I feel about this seeing as how I am going back to Texas later this month...**

**I met up with a few friends from high school for a bonfire**

**I spent 4 days driving to Texas & back which is pretty ridiculous.  Day 1 I drove from central MN to just south of Oklahoma City.  Literally all I did that day was drive for 13 hours...  Day 2 I stopped in Dallas at my storage unit to pick up some stuff, loaded what I could into my car, & then returned my laptop to the district (the entire reason I had to make the drive.)  I was hoping to also drop off my keys & ID but I got the run around on that one.  Technology said I had to bring it to HR, HR said I had to bring it to Security, Security said I had to bring it back to the school... Seeing as how I hadn't officially resigned yet & my school had been bugging me about it for weeks I wasn't about to show up there & run into anyone who had been pressuring me to get the paperwork in without having it in.  So I drove down to my new apartment, got my keys, unpacked what I had in my car, emailed in my resignation, & slept on my floor.  Day 3 I drove back up to Dallas, turned in my keys & ID badge, hung out with Helen & Caleb for a couple of hours & met their baby, & then drove to Lawrence, KS.  Day 4 I drove back to MN.**

**The only reason I even had to make that ridiculous drive was because of said laptop.  My school kept pressuring me to turn in my resignation so they could post my job, however I only had 5 days from the date my resignation was turned in to return my stuff without getting charged... I looked into flights & car rental but that was WAY more expensive than just driving down & back**

**June 20th marked 2 years with Nash-o**

**I went to see Tracy Lawrence with my 2 best friends from college**

**I met up with 2 other friends from college for dinner, one who I hadn't seen in like 3 or 4 years & the other who I hadn't seen in a little over a year**

I mean really that's all that's new with me & why I haven't really blogged.  My days are pretty much: wake up, chill with Nash, watch the Today show, maybe do some stuff around the house, watch TV, go to bed.  The main takeaways from these last 2 weeks are:

1)I am officially done with my old school district
2)I officially have a new apartment & roommate
3)I have been talking to a boy who seems really great & I don't know how to feel about it since I'll be leaving in a few weeks for at least a year

Oh!  Which I guess brings me to something else that is not related to the boy but related to being gone from Minnesota...

As you may or may not remember, I was really hoping to move back to Minnesota this summer & stay here for good.  I even got my Minnesota teaching license back.  However, I was slapped in the face by the reality that I can't afford it without a Master's Degree.  

Well while I was still employed at my old job that really wasn't going to happen because coaching basically was my life so I sort of let the idea go.  Then, I found a new job.  A new job where not only am I not coaching, but my drive time is cut in half... aka I'll be home a whole lot more.  My initial thought was, I CAN DO ALL THE FUN THINGS!  

I don't even remember what it was that made me look into it, & I don't know why I hadn't thought of it sooner seeing as I had just been talking to a former co-worker about it a month prior, but I looked into Master's programs at WGU.  After talking to her again about how she likes the Master's program, and talking to my cousin who did her Bachelor's through them, I decided that I'm going to go for it!  While I still want to do some of the fun things, I plan on starting my Master's in either Curriculum & Instruction or Learning & Technology in October.  That will get me a month & a half into the school year before starting it.  And then, if I can get it done in 6 months, which my friend said she did, it will only cost me $3400.  That way, come the end of the school year I have a whole lot more options.  I can stay where I am & teach with a little pay raise, I can stay in Texas & get out of the classroom, OR I can afford to move back to MN & either teach without taking a pay cut or move back to MN & still not be in the classroom... either way it opens a lot more doors.  

Bonus: when I was talking to my cousin about it she said she was thinking about doing the same thing so we may get to go through the program together!

7 comments:

  1. I want the summer to slow down for you, you were having so much fun. I just love bonfires! Have a great day Grill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy Lawrence put on a concert for us in GTMO when he was super sick. He claimed that with enough beer, he'd be fine and that he was there to honor us for our service. He never ran out of beer and he was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang that's so much driving but I'm glad things are looking up for you! Enjoy the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A master's degree in six months? That's crazy!! It's crazy that you also had to drive all the way to Texas to deal with your district, the laptop, etc. You're a rockstar! Hope you keep enjoying your summer and taking it easy! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh the guy from high school sounds interesting so its a bummer you have to leave (although there's always long distance)

    Yay you for going after the masters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, there is no way I could handle a drive back and forth like that. You're amazing! Congrats on going for your masters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, this clears up some of the grad school stuff, haha! Those are some great options! And I can't believe you've already had Nash for two whole years!!

    ReplyDelete