Monday, January 1, 2018

The Last One In 2017

Happy 2018 everyone!  I hope y'all had an amazing New Year's Eve.  

For the first time EVER I spent NYE alone.  And before anyone feels bad for me it's because I wanted to.  I had invites to a couple of different things & could have found even more plans if I had really wanted to, but I didn't want to.

I'm sure blogland will be fairly quiet today as most people probably have today off & are recuperating from last night and the holidays.  I wanted to kick 2018 off with my shit together though so here I am to recap my final weekend in 2017 with all y'all.

Friday
Friday was far more eventful than I intended it to be.  When I woke up that morning & packed I figured I'd be on the road by 10 & in Kansas City by about 6.  That however is not what happened.  I was on the road by a little after 10 that morning, however around 7 pm I found myself in a hotel in Lamoni, Iowa, 133 miles short of my destination.  That's right I spent 6.5 hours driving through Iowa.  It should take 3 hours to drive Iowa north to south just for some perspective.  The roads were terrible.  Visibility was terrible.  I had to pull over close to a half dozen times to clean my windshield off just so I could kind of see.  There were definitely tears of frustration and thoughts of just calling it quits on the side of the road more than once.  Luckily I have an amazing family who found me a hotel to stay at that still had rooms available and allowed dogs.

The people at the hotel were so kind and helpful.  The lady that was at the desk in the morning even started preparing breakfast for those of us that were awake 30+ minutes before breakfast was scheduled just so we'd have something to eat and could get back on the road.

Saturday
By the time I got my car loaded up and windows cleared it was almost 7 by the time I was on the road.  That put me 2-4 hours behind schedule.  On the bright side though the roads were clear so it was smooth sailing.  Well smooth sailing as far as road conditions go.  Because there is rarely such a thing as a dull moment with me, I got gasoline on my boots and jeans while in Kansas because the nozzle got stuck in the in position because it was so stinking cold.  The smell got so strong I had to pull over at a scenic overlook to change.  By about 4:30-4:45 I was home, made a grocery list, went shopping, and then settled in with some Netflix.

Sunday
The weather was so cold!  It was also icy.  A few times my power even cut in and out.  I got a roast started in the crock pot and went back to Hawaii Five-0 on Netflix.  Nash and I spent the day all cuddle up with blankets and playing with his new toys.  I planned on getting some blogging and lesson planning done but my laptop decided to stop charging so I decided to shut it off. 

For some reason I can't comment on blogs from my phone so I'll read & comment when I can although it may be a few days before that happens.  Typing up posts is also less than ideal from my phone.  So depending on how daring I'm feeling with my 30% battery life, and when the issue is resolved, I may be starting 2018 off a little silent on blog land...

5 comments:

  1. So glad you made it home safely. I kept watching the weather and hoping it would stay dry! I’m definitely trying to keep my stuff together in 2018 too... quiet night with my puzzle and college essays. Cheers to 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it home safely! Travelling this time of year is always a bit of an unknown! I hope 2018 is off to a great start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for making it home safe! Happy New Year beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kinda wanted to spend Christmas just us in the house, but our neighbors were overly attentive to the fact that "you have no where to go?!" Uh, we do, we're just choosing not to, was not a good enough response.

    It's been cold everywhere and if it's going to be under 30°F it NEEDS to be snowing. Charleston is supposed to get "winter" weather tomorrow and I'm already strongly planning on working from home. Ain't nobody got time for that mess.

    ReplyDelete