Thursday, July 5, 2018

Dirt Roads & Tadpoles


I grew up on 1.5 mile stretch of dirt road 5 miles east of a town that is 20 miles from the nearest Walmart.  I loved it.  I don't think I thoroughly realized how great I had it until I left.  That's always the way it goes though right?  I've known for a long time that suburban/urban life is not for me.  As in pretty much the second I left to go to college.  I have been trying to move back to a small town and live in the country since I moved to Texas 6.5 years ago to start my teaching career & my "adult life."


This last time I was home though it hit me really hard.  It was the tadpoles that did it.  I was taking Nash for a walk down the dirt road when I saw dozens of tadpoles in the puddles that had formed in the ditch because of all of the rain.  All I could think about was how badly I wanted to be able to share that magic with my future kids someday.  I want my kids to get to catch tadpoles, to lick the salt block in the pasture just to see what it tastes like.  I want my kids to collect umpteen precious rocks in their pockets, to get to see the miracle of birth whether it be a calf or a chicken.  I want my kids to be able to lay on the ground & see the stars at night, to try to catch lightning bugs in a jar.  I want my kids to experience the magic that is growing up in the country and in a small town.

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Seize the opportunity whenever you can and do it! ps those photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. I don't know that I've ever seen a tadpole. EVER. I have seen the tiniest frogs though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i was younger, the busy, hectic downtown life was what i thrived in. i loved being in the middle of everything. now that i'm older, get me the eff away from that and take me to the quiet countryside LOL. it's a big reason why we visit small-town Prince Edward County every summer for a week - the quiet, small-town life is where we want to be. the kids can run around in large fields, playing on the swings, trying to catch butterflies or dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures! The country is a pretty place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post! I don't think I've ever seen a tadpole either! Or watched an animal be born. I guess that's suburban life for you haha.

    ReplyDelete