Friday, June 16, 2017

Go Go Go

Hi! *waves shyly* Remember me?  The girl that went on vacation last week to Colorado & then basically abandoned blogland for 2 weeks.  I had managed to get my shit together long enough to have posts scheduled for every single day that I was gone on my trip and yet just barely managed to get one post up for this week.  Well I guess now two.  


I had big plans of recapping where we stayed in Colorado, (CHECK!) where we ate, & what we did.  Well at least I got the where we stayed out of the way.  Then life happened & got in the way.  I wasn't even going to post today.  I was just going to let it go & spend a large portion of today prepping posts for the rest of the month.  But then my OCD kicked in & I NEEDED to get my moments I'm grateful for out so here I am once again at 9 am typing up a post.  Here's just a quick what I kept me so busy this week & the moments I'm grateful for.  Linking up with Amanda!

What I Was Up To
 As I had said in my post on Monday, I didn't get home from Colorado until 5:30 am on Sunday morning.  So Sunday & Monday were spent in solitude sleeping, watching Netflix, relaxing by the pool, just thoroughly enjoying some much needed me time.  Also on Monday I got a call to interview in a district that I had applied to as an absolute last resort.  I accepted the interview & immediately wanted to cry.  It felt sort of defeating to accept an interview at a place I really had no desire to work.  But with no other interviews or offers on the table yet I felt I didn't really have a choice.


So Tuesday morning I drove to said school, said "NOPE!" about a half dozen times before walking in.  The interview was a shit show.  I instantly knew I would hate my life every single day if I ever accepted that job.  The principal was unprofessional, essentially kept trying to talk me out of the job and tell me that I would have problems/couldn't handle it, without actually saying it.  Without actually saying it I also knew there would be 0 support.  And yet, despite all of his negativity towards me taking the job, he asked me to come back for another interview this coming Monday.  HA!  Even the cabinet in the front office looked scared & like it was telling me to run for my life.  


After my shit show of an interview I got some tacos from Tacodeli to cross it off my places to eat in Dallas list & then headed home.  Luckily, when I got home that afternoon I got calls to interview at 3 different schools in 2 different districts over the following 2 days.


I had already had plans with Helen & Caleb to go see a couple of free movies on Wednesday, because Alamo Drafthouse is awesome & does free movies for teachers on Wednesdays!  At least the one by them does, I'm not actually sure if it's all of them or not.  The two schools that were in the same district that wanted to interview me Wednesday, just happened to be in the same district that Helen & Caleb live/work in.  Perfect!  How about we kill THREE birds with one stone.  So I went to my first interview, I felt it went well for the most part.  Then I went to my second interview, which I was 99.9% sure was mine before I even walked in since it had been the athletic director that had called me and I had also talked to the head softball & volleyball coaches prior to the interview with the assistant principal.  Both schools told me I would know sooner rather than later.

After the interviews it was movie time!  Well first it was actually grad school work time...BUT THEN!  Then, it was movie time.  First we saw the new Mummy movie.  It was cheesy, and I'm in the minority but I didn't hate it.  Mostly because I don't mind cheesy action movies.  Also probably because I never see movies anymore so my standards aren't all that high.  We saw Wonder Woman second which I really liked.  Except for that it was too long.  It is 2.5 hours y'all which is exactly why I don't go to movies.  I don't have that kind of sit still attention span.  Also, a lot could have been cut out to make it a 1.5-2 hour movie & it still would have been great.  We had time in between the movies so we played Cards Against Humanity out on the patio.


On Thursday I had my 4th interview in 3 days.  By the time Wednesday night had rolled around I no longer wanted the interview.  It's in a really small town which is awesome!  Someday that's eventually what I want.  But, it would mean moving because it's an hour+ drive without real traffic and it would be a SIGNIFICANT pay cut.  I'm talking 7k less than where I started 5 years ago & 16k less than where I was at this past year...  But I went because it was the right thing to do and at that point I didn't have any official offers.  I showed up, waited around for a good 15 minutes, no one.  And I had zero cell service so I couldn't even look up a number or call anyone if I had wanted to.  20 minutes after my interview was supposed to start the principal called me.  Again, because I don't really always know how to say no when it comes to stuff like that I turned around.  We both made our apologies about the mix up & the interview was conducted.  Because I was in a Koala Koala mood.  (see video below for explanation) I was calm, hilarious, & honest.  I didn't care about the outcome.  I was annoyed at how the interview started, I was pretty confident about my interviews from the previous day, & knew I couldn't really afford the pay cut anyway so I was just 100% myself.  I guess we'll see how that turned out next week when he calls to offer me the job or not.

(It's only 25 seconds & so worth it lol)

After my interview I went to Melt to get some ice cream because a)it was 100 degrees outside & b)it was on my list of places to eat at in Fort Worth.  I got a salted caramel one.  It was good.  I love all things salted caramel.  On my way to Melt the first school I had interviewed with the previous day called me to let me know they had chosen someone else.  Great...still jobless.  When I got home I was exhausted & passed out for an hour, hour & a half.  I woke up to a missed call & a voicemail from the athletic director from the 2nd school from the previous day.  I GOT THE JOB!  This fall I will be teaching high school as well as coaching both volleyball and softball.  


I was supposed to have a date at 9 that night but the guy text me at 8:30 saying he had just got off work and wanted to know if we could push it back to 10.  Sure.  I got there a little early because I like to get there first.  So I sat outside the bar on the patio watching NFL Network for awhile.  He text me a little after 10 saying he was sitting in traffic but right near where we were meeting.  That's fine.  10-15 min later he text me saying he got called back into work and wanted to know if we could try for tonight.  About 75% of me wanted to either just not respond or say sorry but no.  But the 25% of me that said with what his job is it's entirely possible that he's telling the truth decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I wasn't going to make it as easy as saying yes to today though because the larger part of me still wanted to say screw you.  So I said I was busy Friday...which is only half true.  I also have not set in stone plans for sometime this weekend with a friend so I took Saturday & Sunday off the table.  Tuesday I really do have plans & Wednesday is the day before I leave for MN.  So, I gave him Monday.  I told him that was my only available day until July 2.  I figured he could take it or leave it.  If he was serious he'd make it work.  He said he wanted Monday & would even take the day off so he couldn't get called in.  I haven't heard from him yet today so we'll see.  Either it'll happen or it won't.  Either way, I'm fine with it.  

Because I was already at the bar though, & had driven 20-30 minutes to get there, and had been sitting there for a good 20 minutes before he bailed, I decided to go in & just have a couple of drinks & food by myself.  Instantly the following became my life because, and I quote "I saw you were alone & so I figured you might want some company so that you wouldn't have to be all by yourself."  Wrong.  I not only can handle doing things by myself, I like it.


Moments I'm Grateful For
9 - Interviewing w/a district I've been trying to get into for 5 years
10 - Hiking around the Garden of Gods
11 - Sleeping in my own bed after a week
12 - Having a full day of a lone time for the first time in a week
13 - Getting 3 calls for interviews
14 - 2 interviews in the district my friends have been trying to get me into for 2-3 years
15 - Getting a job offer

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job offer!! I'm starting at a new school this year too. I'm going from public to private and I'm terrrrifiiiied! Haha

    http://iamteacherfit.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck to you! You're going to do great!

      Delete
  2. OMG how have I never seen Koala Koala?! So amazing haha. Congrats on the job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job offer! That is so fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new job! That's fantastic news and hopefully you can breathe easy this summer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm dying to know where that first interview was, lol!! Congrats on the job offer!! (Want to know where that is, too!!) Hopefully this week isn't quite as stressful as last week with alllllll the interviews, lol.

    ReplyDelete