Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Memorial Weekend 2017

I hope y'all had a safe & fun long weekend!  I know I did!  I was not ready to go back to work today that's for sure!  It's okay though because after this Friday I am officially on summer vacation!  I have an interview this afternoon so if y'all could cross your fingers for me & say a little prayer I'd really appreciate it!!

After work on Friday I met up with a few former co-workers for happy hour at Eagle's Nest.  All of us have now officially resigned from the school district that we all met & worked together at last year.  It's a little bittersweet for me.  I'm glad that they are now all moving onto better things, because we all deserved so much better than that place, but even though a lot of us left last year, there were still enough still working there this year that it was easy enough to still see everyone from time to time.  Now we're all going off in different directions, & while I'll still see a couple of them, I probably won't see most of them anymore.

Saturday was such a fun day & yet this is the ONLY picture I took.  I met up with my friend in the morning & we drove down to Glen Rose so we could float the Brazos River.  It was my first time every floating a river in Texas & only my second time floating a river ever in my life.  The trip was supposed to take 2-4 hours on the river but as we do, we just let whatever happen happen.  So our trip took us probably a good 6-7 hours.  I chose to leave my phone in the truck while we went because I didn't want anything to happen to it, the battery was dying, & I'm over my data anyway.  Except for the fact that I have no pictures of said trip, not having my phone was amazing.  Not once did I even want my phone.  Okay that's a lie.  At one point while I was trying to cheat at Name That Tune I wanted my phone...but hey it kept me honest!  

Before we got on the river we had stopped at The Green Pickle for lunch.  My friend & seen it on Day Tripper and wanted to cross it off his list.  It was alright but neither one of us was super impressed.  After our million year river excursion we headed back home so we could each shower & then met up again for supper and drinks.  I wanted pizza so I looked up best pizza in DFW.  Bryan Street Tavern was one of the first things that popped up.  We got an appetizer sampler & a pizza.  Once again for the day we were let down.  It definitely wasn't the best, it was barely even good.  We stopped into Eastbound & Down for a drink because my friend has been wanting to go there.  It was a bar.  I'd go back but it wouldn't be a top of my list bar.  The saving grace of the night was the elote from Fuel City Taco.  I really wanted ice cream but it wasn't until my friend said that wasn't possible at that point that I realized it was 1 am.  So home it was.

I had planned on going to the Lavender Festival in Gainesville on Sunday but not only did I stay in bed way longer than I planned, by the time I did try to go it kept sprinkling.  I didn't want to drive an hour & a half north & risk it raining while at an outdoor festival.  So instead I lounged around home most of the day.  At one point I decided to go out to the Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery.  I had never been to this one before & with it being Memorial Day Weekend it seemed like the perfect time to go check it out.  It was beautiful.

Because Monday was Memorial Day I, along with pretty much everyone else, had the day off.  It turned out to be a much nicer day than Sunday had been which meant I could finally go up to the Lavender Festival.  Since my friend had the day off & no plans, he had asked me the day before if I wanted someone to tag along.  I had originally planned on just going alone but I wasn't going to turn down company for a mini road trip.  We got up to the festival & because it was the last day all the fresh lavender was gone.  There were still some other flowers & animals to look at.  There were also lots of vendors.  Some of them were selling some cool things but I wasn't really in the market to buy anything so we didn't stay for too long.  The second part of my trip plan was to drive up to Ardmore, Oklahoma for lunch.  Remember my random day trip back in November?  Yeah, I've been wanting to go back to Two Frogs Grill for their Cajun catfish ever since.  My friend tried to show me Turner Falls but it was so busy, & according to him not really worth the $12/person, so we drove in & right back out.  

I was still craving ice cream from when we had hung out Saturday so my next mission was find ice cream!  I wanted to try Melt but they were closed.  I decided to give Google another shot & searched for best ice cream in DFW.  Howdy Homemade popped up.  I got their Dr. Pepper Chocolate Chip.  It was good!  It's a little on the pricey side but a)it's ice cream b)it's DR. PEPPER ice cream & c)their company is big on supporting local adults with special needs.  Also, did I mention that I had been craving ice cream for days??  My friend was tired, like got a blanket out of my trunk at one point & slept while I drove tired, so after ice cream it was time for home.  I intended to nap but instead caught up on social media until I finally decided to go to the store.


  1. I've heard really good things about Howdy Homemade. I feel like DFW is on a frozen custard overload with Freddy's and Andy's - time to try some I guess

  2. Aw, goodbyes at the end of the year are always so sad. Here in Shanghai, so many of my friends are going to leave this year and go back to where they're from. I'm scared I'll never see some of them again, especially some of the British ones. :*( And you're so lucky to be on break soon! It's just so hot here and the students want to play more and aren't as focused on their work...I'm sure you know how it is.

  3. I have been craving ice cream too! Dr Pepper chocolate chip, that sounds amazing!

  4. Love to read you <3 <3 <3