Thursday, August 20, 2015

WeFest XXXIII

Tuesday
In true Bri fashion I woke up & packed for WeFest an hour before I had to leave to get to Music Soulmate's parents' house.  When I arrived, we all packed up her brother's camper & truck and headed on our way.  Our friend E had to leave early from WeFest so we took two cars.  Music Soulmate & E rode together while I rode up with her brother.  And so began the week's theme of "Remember that time..." when Jimbo said to me "Hey Bri, remember that time 2 years ago when you yelled at me & almost kicked me out of your campsite...now we're riding to WeFest together!"

The 4 of us were the first of our group to arrive that afternoon.  It was our mission to stake out a spot that would allow room for 3 campers, & 3-4 tents.  That is the exact reason that the 4 of us arrived at 2 pm on Tuesday even though the concerts don't start until almost 3 pm on Thursday.  We found an area & caution taped it off until the rest of the people could arrive.  It wound up being the exact spot we had last year.  The next set of people weren't due to arrive until 9 or 10 that night so the 4 of us just set up camp & sat around drinking, listening to music, & talking.  Once almost everyone arrived that night the girls decided we wanted to go make friends & dance party while the boys just hung out together at our site.

This is also the WeFest where it became apparent that we are all getting way too old to be camping where we are.  For the 2nd year in a row we have been in a 25 & under campground because the one we want always sells out right away.  The first comment upon arrival was "Damn it...I don't want to camp next to Tittie City!"  (Because college age bro dudes name their campsites ridiculous shit like that & party all flippin night long)  The second comment upon arrival was "Ugh all this setting stuff up makes me want to take a nap..."  Needless to say we all agreed that any WeFest that follows we will do whatever it takes to get back into the campground that is for the "we like to have fun, but we also like to sleep at night" 25-35 age group.

This night a 21 year old, whose legal name was Maverick, Top Gunned me.  It was adorable ha.

Wednesday
We started Wednesday the way everyday should start, with bacon, bloody marys, & country music.  Over the past couple of years we have gotten such a good group of people that we don't really find it necessary to walk around all the time & meet people.  We spent most of the day playing beer darts & pass the bottle.  Both of these games led to everyone taking a nap at some point in the day until Bry Bry showed up that evening completing the original #TeamHashtag group.  5 more people arrived throughout Wednesday & Thursday.  Naps = further proof that we're getting old.  Do you know how many naps I took at WeFest ages 20-24? 0.  This year I took a nap for a solid 2 hours & then just laid around waiting for other people to wake up.

Thursday
We bought SO much stuff for bloody marys because last year we all drank them every single day meaning we were constantly making runs to town in order to buy more stuff.  This year, no one drank a single bloody after Thursday morning.  Noted.  Thursday concerts finally started.  Although I only went to two of them because I as is the case every other year, the line up isn't all that great.  We went to go see Logan Mize & Hank Jr.  The end.  Music Soulmate & I had made tank tops prior to WeFest that said "All my rowdy friends have settled down" since we are basically the ONLY single female friend the other one has.  Rascal Flatts was supposed to play that night, well they did play, but I had 0 desire to go because I don't like them.  It started pouring rain so no one from our group ended up going.  Apparently other people are hard core RF fans because some went but we decided to all dance & sing in the rain back at camp instead.  It was my favorite night by far.  Oh yeah, & we ran into Mr. Top Gun again...4th picture down on the left side.

Friday
Friday was the day that we had planned on attending all of the concerts.  The line up for the day was Randy Rogers Band (hell yeah for Texas Country!), Eric Paslay, Tyler Farr, Dierks Bentley, & Miranda Lambert.  The only ones I actually watched were RRB, Tyler Farr, & Dierks Bentley.  I was there for Eric Paslay but we were up at the saloon so I could hear but not see.  I didn't stay for Miranda.  My ankle was huge (more on that later) & I didn't really care to see her.  Don't get me wrong I love her old stuff, & would possibly like her new stuff but never bought the new album, but I didn't care enough to wait 45-60 min between her & Dierks.  Plus, I had gone off to meet Kickass Cousin during Dierks & had lost the rest of my group.

We spent basically the entire day as a group.  We hung out at the campsite & played games together, we went on adventures together, & attended most of the shows together.  I wasn't the only one who didn't attend Miranda so I hung out with a couple of the others until the entire group came back.  Music Soulmate, E, & I all went to bed fairly early compared to there rest of the group because my ankle was hurting, E's back was hurting, & Music Soulmate was just tired.  At some point it started pouring again & at about 2:30 in the morning both Music Soulmate & I woke up to Old Gregg outside of our tent & the following conversation occurred:

OG: Hey girls wanna dance...
Us: No
OG: But it's raining again!
Us: It's 2:30!
OG: I'm getting shut down hard over here Jimbo!
OG: You're lucky I can't find the key to get in!
Us: It's a tent Gregg...
Us: *maybe if we're quiet he'll go away*
OG: Are you sure??

First of all Old Gregg isn't even old, he graduated a year before I did.  Second of all I have no idea how he got that nickname.  Music Soulmate & I stayed up, in the tent, for another 30-60 minutes listening to the boys' shenanigans outside & laughing our butts off.

Saturday
E had to leave early so after we all had breakfast we took our annual group photo.  Then Music Soulmate & I walked around different campsites while others went to town.  When everyone was back some people napped or wandered off while a few of us played flip cup.  I didn't care about most of the acts that played that day, because again the whole every other year line up not being the best.  We went to Eli Young Band where I ugly cried most of the time because their songs brought up a lot of emotions for me.  Also, yay again for more Texas Country!  We also saw Jake Owen & Blake Shelton closed it out.  We all got separated this day so Music Soulmate & I just watched the concerts together.  Something happened with the speaker system during Jake Owen to where no one could hear him during one song.  After that song they took like a 20 minute break & then he came back out with just his mic & a stool.  It was so good.  I really wish they would have had him play that way longer & either cut out the karaoke winner slot or just extended the whole show.  He did a cover of Garth Brooks "The Dance" & talked about his divorce which had been announced the day before & so again tears...  Blake Shelton's set was really good too.  Music Soulmate & I left a little early though because people around us were flippin obnoxious but we could hear the whole thing from our campsite.  We really only missed like 3 or 4 songs.

Sunday
That's all...that's how WeFest ended... I slept in those clothes the night before.  We packed up that morning, drove back to Music Soulmate's parents' house, hung around there for awhile, I packed my car back up & headed on home.  I stopped at a gas station in my hometown to get coffee & gas & some young man who is either a damned liar or has the lowest standards ever told me in a completely non-sarcastic tone that I was hot.  Sir, no one thinks the above look is hot, no one.  My mom also made me go to the ER that night because I had messed my foot up & had to leave for Texas the next morning.  I'd show you a picture but it's ugly.  Just imagine my left foot looking bruised & twice the size of my right foot.  I had started attempting to take care of it at WeFest by icing & elevating it for certain periods of time but I didn't really know what it was.  Turns out it was a combination of rolling my ankle on Tuesday (while completely sober) & a bug bite I had gotten just before heading to WeFest.  Who knew that walking around on that for a week in flip flops was bad?  Just kidding...if I had known exactly what it was I would have been taking allergy medicine & ibuprofen all week...which is exactly what I was told to do in the ER.  Can't wait for that bill...


4 comments:

  1. Tittie City made me laugh...because I'm immature. Sunday's picture made me laugh...because I've been to multi-day music festivals, and I feel ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A guy was actually born Maverick?! I am intrigued. Looks like a blast if Sunday's pic wasn't a good indicator! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my life: "we like to have fun, but we also like to sleep at night" 25-35 age group.
    I need more music festivals in my life. Someone posted about one in SF where Mumford and Sons were and I was so unbearably jealous, then I looked on their tour schedule and it wasn't even listed! I need to know how to go about finding these hidden gems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness, hope your foot is okay! that sucks you had to go to the ER for it.

    ReplyDelete