Thursday, May 22, 2014

We Came In Strangers & Left As Family

Last week I did a Throw Back Thursday post about Favorite College Roommate.  I thought I'd keep it going with other friends I've made along the way.

As Dan Savage says, "Our relatives are our biological family, but with our friends we can make our logical family"

I'd like y'all to meet Freshman Roommate.  We had gotten assigned to each other over the summer & had texted off and on...maybe talked on the phone once...before move in day.  However, we grew up about 4 hours apart & had our own things going on so the first time we met is when I walked through our dorm room door where she was in there with her family setting things up.  I remember being in the car with my boyfriend, driving to campus, & she called me.  The following came out of my mouth "My roommate is calling me!  What do I do?!"  His response was an obvious "Umm answer it..."  Freshman Roommate & I still laugh about that to this day.  We instantly clicked...which made me so happy because there were others who weren't so lucky with their roommates.  We wound up living together Freshman, Junior, & Senior year.


October 2007


August 2008


October 2009


June 2010


December 2011


December 2012

Sadly December 2012 was the last time I saw Freshman Roommate.  Between me living 1300 miles away & only coming home a few times a year and her working odd hours as a nurse it's not always possible for us to get together when I'm home.  I'm so so excited though because this lovely lady is getting married this fall!!  That means I'll get to see her AT LEAST twice this year.  Once for her bachlorette party & once for her wedding.  I could not be happier for her & her fiance...they are so perfect for each other.

Timbaland - The Way I Are
This was the #1 song of 2007 -- the year we moved away from home, met, & became an instant family.


3 comments:

  1. Um, that song was the best! So jealous of your college experience. I went to a commuter school and made no lasting friends. It's such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for friends! i never went to an actual college (we dont have them like you do here), but looks like you made some amazing friends girl! and i loved that timbaland song.

    ReplyDelete