Saturday, May 3, 2014

Houston Means That I'm One Day Closer To You



 I complain about Houston a lot sometimes.  I talk about how much I don't like living here & how I'd love to live nearly anywhere else.  It's taken me awhile to realize admit that it's not necessarily Houston that I dislike but where I'm at in life overall.  I don't hate my life by any stretch of the imagination but I'm not where I thought I'd be or exactly where I want to be in life so I blame it on location.  I'm a runner.  When things don't pan out the way I want them to I run.  I knew I was going to leave Minnesota for that reason back in late 2011.  That's the reason I tried to leave Texas last year.   And that's why I've been trying so hard to leave Houston now.  Over the past week or two though, whether it be nerves, frustration, or inner peace, Houston has been sucking me back in.  Granted as of this moment I have no real choice in the matter as to where I end up next year because the only job offer I have on the table is for the one I currently have.  However, I'm not entirely certain I want to leave anymore.  So while I'm going to try to not stress about it & take it day to day until I either get (or don't get) a job offer elsewhere...here are some things I do love about Houston & where I live (which is a "suburb" like 30 miles NW of city center.)

1. Location

Really it doesn't get much better.  I'm approximately 3 hours from Corpus, Austin, San Antonio, & DFW.  It's centrally located...at least as far as the major places in Texas go.  It's also only a 5 hour drive from NOLA.

2. Weather

I have for the most part adjusted to the weather down here...honestly it didn't take long to consider what were once "warm" temperatures in MN now "cold" down here.  Sure it gets cold but more often than not the weather here is so nice.  For example: as I type this late at night on May 1st it's basically 70 degrees.  You know what its back in MN? 45.  I was meant for warm weather.

3. Friends

They may not be the closest friendships I've ever had in my life (& the people I would consider my closest friends down here may have already or will be leaving -- another post for another day) but I have friends here.  I have people that I can talk to & hang out with.

4. Things to Do

For crying out loud it's the 4th largest city in the country.  Even if you're just talking within Houston city limits there's a wide variety of events going on...add in the burbs & the possibilities are endless.  Today alone (actual today...3rd today...not I'm writing this on the 1st today) there are over 50 things on the Houston events calendar including things such as: a downtown food tour, an art crawl, horse race, & a Texas Bands Brews & BBQ.

5. Running Isn't The Solution

Is 30 miles outside of one of the nation's largest cities where I saw myself ending up?  No.  But you know what...my exact location doesn't have to be permanent.  There are plenty of small towns & "middle of nowheres" around here.  Hell I basically live in one of those small towns right now, I just so happen to live in the city limits making it seem not so ideal.  At some point though I have to realize that you can't plan your life down to every last detail.  At some point I have to stop trying to run away after life doesn't go my way after such a short period of time hoping that maybe the next place will hold the answers I'm looking for.  At some point I need to settle into life & plant some roots.

Ok so this kind of strayed from what I intended it to be...but I like this better...so ignore the shitty opening paragraph that would lead you to believe that I'd talk about all the great things Houston has to offer & pretend I meant to give you reasons for me staying in Houston.





2 comments:

  1. I'm a believer in the idea that you have to bring your happy to anywhere you are. So I think you're exactly right....probably not all the negatives you're feeling are about Houston. My bet is that you could be just as happy there as you could anywhere else. That said, I think there's always time for another adventure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true. We get irritated with where we live sometimes, too... but honestly - I don't think I'd want to live in any other area! :)

    ReplyDelete