Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Ago Today

September 11th, 2001 is a day that sticks out in everyone's mind.  All someone needs to say is 9/11 and everyone is this country thinks of the same thing.  10 years later it still gives me the chills, still brings me to tears, still feels like yesterday.  I'm sure you all remember where you were when you heard the news, that you could recall that day clearly while you may not even recall what you did last week.  I was 12 years old.  I was in my 2nd week of the 7th grade and had just moved up from the middle school to the high school.  I was in gym class, probably in the track & field unit.  I didn't actually find out until 2nd hour English.  If I walked into that classroom today I could still tell you which desk was mine, it was in the back by the window.  I remember not really knowing what was going on.  All I knew was that "America was being attacked."  That planes were flying into buildings.  I was honestly momentarily terrified that at any moment my middle of nowhere high school in Minnesota could be next.  It wasn't until we began watching the news in every class that I really understood what was going on and even then didn't know why.  It was then that my interest in politics spiked and made me into a politically aware 12 year old.  My interest in politics and history has continued to grow over the past 10 years.  I always wanted to be a teacher but perhaps it was those events in history that in the long run made me choose to study social studies rather than any other subject...
So on this day:

Remember those lost

Remember those left to mourn

Remember those that served

Remember those still serving



No comments:

Post a Comment