Monday, May 20, 2013

Making Choices Can Be Hard Sometimes

Day 20: Something You're Struggling With
For I'd say at least 5 months if not longer I've wanted out with the district that I teach in.  For awhile I thought about getting out of teaching all together & joining the Air Force...due to my intense debt, the long wait list, & now the location of my new tattoo the Air Force is not an option for me.  So about a couple months ago I started applying for new jobs.  I started applying heavily in Georgia, a few in Tennessee and Kentucky, & of course some in Texas.  Then, I failed my content test to get licensed in Texas so I started applying in Minnesota as a back up plan incase I don't pass the test again in June.
So far I have applied to 49 different school districts, 1 in Kentucky, 3 in Tennessee, 10 in Minnesota, 13 in Georgia, & 22 in Texas.  I want out of my district because I am NOT a city girl.  I teach in an inner city Title 1 district & it is NOTHING like where I'm from.  The lack of motivation, respect, discipline, hard work, parental support kills me on an almost daily basis.  I need out.  I don't agree with a lot that goes on in the district and can't handle the fact that I feel more like a glorified babysitter than a teacher.  On the other hand, I love Texas.  I love Texas more than I ever thought I'd love Texas.  Back in September I created a new 101 in 1001 list & on there it says something along the lines of getting a job or moving back to Minnesota.  Here I am 9 months later & I don't know that I ever want to leave and if I do, definitely not anytime soon.
On Friday I got a voicemail from a school district.  The phone call that I had been waiting on for months.  A phone call offering me a job interview.  A job interview for a town that has less than 2000 people & the school is 5-12.  My ideal type of district.  The downfall, it's in Minnesota, northern Minnesota.  Now don't get me wrong if I ever move back it will definitely be to northern Minnesota.  However, I didn't realize just how badly I don't want to go back to Minnesota until I hung up the voicemail & started bawling my eyes out.  I do not want to leave Texas.  I called back & am still taking the interview, it'll be tomorrow at 2 over the phone.
So my struggle?  If offered a job anywhere other than Texas, especially Minnesota, do I take it?  Do I take the opportunity to get out of the district?  Or do I hold out for a Texas job, possibly having to stay at my current district but getting to stay in Texas.  Basically I'm currently struggling with what do I want more:

New District

No comments:

Post a Comment