Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11 Patriot Day

**Sorry this was a scheduled post that was supposed to posted at 9:03 am. Why it didn't I don't know. Regardless here it is**




9 years ago today life would change as we knew it. I spent 9/11 last year frustrated. I don't know what I was expecting or hoping for, but zero recognition of what day it was was not it. I go to a state college for crying out loud. Even worse my classes that day included a sociology class, a poli sci class, & a history class. Out of all of the departments on campus I would have expected some recognition from those 3 departments, especially the latter 2. Alas, there was none. No one seemed to care.


Was I personally effected by that day. No not really. I was in 7th grade living in a small town in MN. It's not like I knew anyone that lived in NY or PA. I wasn't old enough to have any of my classmates decide to join the military & fight for America. At that point I didn't even have a single family member in the military anymore because those that had been had since retired. Do I expect people to stop what they are doing forever on that day & remember 9/11? Realistically, no I don't. I would love to say yes because I was around & old enough to understand what had happened at the time. However, it has been less than 10 years people, and up until just a short while ago, we were still on combat missions in Iraq. The war was still an ongoing part of daily lives for several Americans.


Of course I know that many people still remember & care, especially those who are or have loved ones in the military or were personally effected by that day. But I feel like something that brought our nation so close together, should still be doing so & receive a little more recognition less than 10 years later. I could probably rant for quite sometime but I will not. Instead I will leave you with one of my favorite songs.


Have You Forgotten - Darryl Worley


No comments:

Post a Comment