Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chicken Parmesan

I made chicken parmesan for the first time. I had never even tried it before but everyone always tells me how amazing it is. Well, they were all right. Branden & I were hanging out all day cleaning his old apartment & watching Lost. Then we came back to my apartment & decided to cook dinner together. We made chicken parmesan & mashed potatoes and gravy. Ok Ok the mashed potatoes were instant & the gravy came in a jar. But we really did make the chicken parmesan. I was going to take a picture of the final project, & I guess I kind of did, but the potatoes were all gone & I had eaten half the chicken by the time I remembered.



I just googled a recipe & wound up using the one I found on http://www.about.com/. It seemed simple enough & it was. I definitely plan on making this again & am excited about the leftovers sitting in my fridge right now. If I weren't so stuffed I'd be eating right now as I type lol.

This is the recipe I used:
Ingredients
4 boneless chicken breasts pounded to 1/2 in thick
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
bread crumbs
2 to 3 tbsp olive oil
8 slices mozzarella cheese
1 16 oz jar of spaghetti sauce
parmesan cheese


Preparation
Whisk egg & milk together. Dip chicken in the egg & milk mixture and then in bread crumbs. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Brown the chicken in the oil on both sides until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Put chicken in a baking dish.


Put two slices of mozzarella cheese on each chicken breast. Pour one jar of spaghetti sauce over all. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and a little more mozzarella. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly.

I did make a few changes though. Since it was just the two of us I only used two chicken breasts. They were fairly large though. I used vegetable oil instead of olive oil because that was what I had. I bought shredded mozzarella instead of slices so I just covered the chicken in cheese until I felt there was enough. Since there were only two chicken breasts & I was using a smaller baking dish I only used half of the jar of spaghetti sauce. It also didn't take the chicken 3-4 minutes on each side. I would say it took maybe 2 minutes TOPS on each side. It also took longer than 30 minutes for one of the breasts because I didn't pound it down so it was thick & needed to cook longer. No worries though it still only took 35 & that was just because I was being extra safe & wanted to make sure the pink was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment