Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day Weekend 2016

As I'm sure many of you are, I'm still on vacation from work.  I don't actually go back to work until Wednesday because I have an interview tomorrow.  I get a nice long 4 day weekend only to go to work for just 2 more days & then begin my summer vacation.  #TeacherPerks

I hope that y'all are enjoying your nice long weekend & remembering to honor those that gave their life for our country.



Friday
I stayed after work to get all of my students' finals scanned since I won't be at work tomorrow.  Getting home took FOR-EVER!  What is normally a 30 min drive took me over an hour.  I still managed to beat Mr. Midwest home & tried to figure out the nerf guns.  Luckily for him I couldn't so he was safe when he walked through the door.  I finally finished watching the final episode of Nashville (it cannot end like that...) & put in test scores while he showered and got ready.  For dinner that night he took me to The Melting Pot.  Neither of us had ever been & I had been wanting to go for forever.  (Like since my first boyfriend in high school forever.)  It was so much fun.  It was all delicious but the cheese & chocolate were definitely my favorite parts.  We spent a couple of hours there eating & talking & then headed home.  Our reservations hadn't been until 8 so it was fairly late when we got home.  I'm sure "we" watched TV for awhile which really means he did while I started to but ultimately passed out almost instantly.

Saturday
Saturday morning when we woke up I went out to find breakfast & then we watched some Chappelle Show before we each had to leave.  He had plans to go to the lake with some friends for the weekend & I had required plans of getting the rest of my stuff out of my apartment & cleaning it...I also had plans to hang out with a couple of friends that night for dinner & drinks.  

Around 10:30 we headed out on our separate ways to which one of the final things he said to me was "are you going to be ok here all by yourself this weekend?" To which I snarkily responded "what do you think I'm going to hurt myself or something?"  Remember that...it's important.  

So I headed to my apartment, got the rest of my stuff packed up that needed to be put in storage, drove up to my unit, & got it all packed away.  When I got back to my apartment I packed all of the rest of my stuff that I would be bringing back to MN with me in my car so that I could clean.  My roommate(s) still hadn't been back to the apartment & so I felt like I was at a stand still.  I cleaned my bathroom, I cleaned my bedroom, I cleaned the hallway & living room, & that was all I could do.  They still had stuff left in all of the other rooms.  I didn't want to have to come back or wait around so I decided to leave it at that.  I locked the door, turned in all of my keys, & drove away for the last time.

Helen & Caleb planned on being at my place around 6 which left me about an hour to shower & clean up by the time I got back.  That should have been more than enough time.  Then the following happened.  I took a shower, got out, threw out my old contacts, & then went to open up my new ones when I misstepped.  It didn't really hit me what was happening at first.  You know what it sounds/feels like when you cut into raw steak or chicken?  That's what I heard/felt.  I thought I stepped on something & it popped (which I guess I did technically.)  I was trying to figure out what it was when all of a sudden it registered that I had just pierced into the heel of my foot with my belt buckle.  So I hopped around the bathroom in nothing but a towel, cursing Nelly & shutting of my Pandora because I didn't have time to deal with his shit while trying to not bleed on anything & find bandaids.  I wound up going all redneck because Mr. Midwest doesn't own shit when it comes to medical supplies so I found gauze & applied it with packaging tape...  I called my mom like the true adult I am & she told me I needed to soak it.  So I did & then reapplied gauze & packaging tape.  The weird thing is it didn't really hurt.  It still doesn't.  But when I think about the raw meat sound/feeling I cringe.  I text Mr. Midwest & told him that apparently I can't be left alone for even 7 hours...

Helen & Caleb showed up just as I was wrapping up my foot so I went downstairs to get them & then we went back upstairs for a bit & then headed out.  I took them to Fat Daddy's for supper & a couple of beers.  We played Connect Four for awhile but it was so flippin hot outside that we decided to try out another bar.  I found one on Yelp called Happy Days that wasn't that far away.  I had never been there before but it had a very small town bar feel to it.  We each had a couple of drinks there & then headed to the grocery store for a 6 pack, french fries, cheese, & proscuitto.  Back at the apartment we enjoyed our snacks & watched SNL clips on YouTube until it was time for them to go home.

Sunday
I had originally planned on getting a manicure & pedicure but the whole piercing of the foot put a damper on that.  I still needed to do something with them so I painted them myself.  Afterwards I headed off to Target to get a couple of supplies as well as some chocolate for gifts.  While I was buying chocolate for others I saw this dark chocolate sea salt almond bar & I was sold.  The only thing missing was caramel. I got a few things cleaned up around the apartment while watching Four Weddings & then got ready to go to the pool.  It was in the 80s with a real feel of nearly 100.  The pool was closed!  Determined to get my tan on for at least a little while I went back to the apartment & laid out on the balcony.  I tried getting sucked into a Real Housewives marathon but I just wasn't captivated.  Don't get me wrong I watched like 3 or 4 episodes but then decided to look around.  What I did get sucked into was a Keeping up with the Kardashians marathon.  I had made meatballs on Thursday so that I could make spaghetti that night.  Well we wound up going out for dinner instead that night so I boiled up the noodles & made some garlic bread so I could finally have myself some spaghetti.  

I love alone time, I do.  I've lived alone nearly my entire adult life.  However, I'm ready for Mr. Midwest to come back from the lake.  I'm bored & I want to hang out with him.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes that story definitely gave me the shudders! I had almost the exact same thing happen to me. I was in the change room in a store and I didn't notice that the security tag fell off. It was the kind where one half has a needle. Anyway, I ended up stepping directly on it and the needle part went right into me heel. I immediately pulled it out but it made this weird electrical sound! It was both terrifying and painful!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete